Email This Post Email This Post Print This Post Print This Post

Nelson: BRI Talks Plans For Fiber Network At BOS Meeting

[ 7 ] December 12, 2012 | Nelson County Life

Blue Ridge Life™2012 - (left) Jeff Cornejo, co-owner of Blue Ridge InternetWorks in Charlottesville listens as business partner and additional co-owner Baylor Fooks of BRI addresses the Nelson Board of Supervisors Tuesday night - December 11, 2012.

Lovingston
Nelson County, VA

Representatives from Blue Ridge InternetWorks (BRI) met with the Nelson County Broadband Authority and the Nelson Board of Supervisors Tuesday night to discuss more about their plans as they prepare to rollout high speed broadband fiber internet to parts of Nelson County. BRI was recently selected at the network operator and a provider for the service.”As of tonight we already have about 300 or more inquires about our service from people in Nelson County,” said Baylor Fooks of BRI. The BRI duo told the board most of those were in the Afton zipcode thus far.

Also discussed by BRI was a possible plan of extended the current network beyond where it’s physically in the ground by merging it with copper technology. “It’s involved, but we are looking at extending the reach of the fiber network to others by using existing phone company copper pairs. This works approximately 3 miles out from the fiber connection giving subscribers DSL type speeds,” Baylor continued. The move would allow for many others to use the network in addition to those connected directly to fiber or by wireless services. Though approval wold have to come from companies like Verizon to lease their copper, Baylor said it is allowed by law.

More discussion continued into the meeting about rates. Several supervisors and BRI representatives said that while the curent business class rate structures were a good starting point (several hundred dollars a month) a vast majority of small to medium businesses, nor residences, could budget that for internet costs.

Clay Stewart of Stewart Computer Services also told the board he’s excited about the prospects of working together with BRI and the county to widen reach of his current wireless network that is already heavily concentrated in the southern part of Nelson, but expanding quickly into Afton. He too expressed concern about having affordable wholesale rates from the county.

As the meeting closed BRI said they should have some firm numbers worked up soon to see what the exact costs might look like to consumers. Committee members will meet with BRI in the coming weeks to get into more details about rates and installation charges.

More history on the fiber internet project in Nelson County here.

Related posts:

1. Nelson: Fiber Network Manager Announced – Update 12.8.12 – 1:30PM
  2. Work Continues Toward Completion Of Fiber Network In Nelson
  3. Construction On High Speed Fiber Internet Begins In Nelson!
  4. Good Progress Continues On Installation Of Fiber Internet In Nelson County
  5. Nelson Broadband Advisory Committee Meets : 8.12.10

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Category: News

About Nelson County Life: View author profile.

Comments (7)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

1. Cee says:

The cable runs less than a half mile from my house. How will service be provided from the cable to my house? I called BRI to ask this question and was told they didn’t know. Newspaper (Daily Progress) and TV coverage have said that Nelson County officials said this service would be provided early in 2013. This estimate seems grossly optimistic if not untruthful. Would it be too much to ask to get realistic information on this project from county officials?

I also thought the goal of this project was to bring affordable highspeed internet to the citizens of Nelson County. I don’t consider $100/month affordable.

2. Cee says:

What is the best way to find out about future meetings related to this project? I would attend if I knew the meetings were even happening.

3. Daniel Lawrence says:

Well, my other post was deleted for whatever reason.

I also do not consider 100/month to be affordable, or at least not any cheaper than what I am already paying for wireless service.

For what it’s worth, as of yesterday my Verizon 3g signal turned into a 4g signal anyway. A series of speed tests showed 12mbps/2mbps up/down speeds from my 4g signal. Previously I was at about 768kbitps/384kbitps on a good day from my home.

While I don’t like paying for a data pool and having limited bandwidth the +/- 100/month I am paying currently for 10Gb of shared data is preferable to something that is just going to be 10 times slower once it hits copper lines and the convenience of having the shared data to go anywhere across all my devices no matter where i go is going to outweigh the unlimited (if it even will be unlimited) data i might get from blue ridge.

This just seems like a complete disaster for Nelson County for something that I had high hopes for when it started.

To reiterate my previous deleted post if I can’t get over 5mbps with unlimited bandwidth for 50/month then this project was a waste for residential users.

4. Not sure what happened to your comment but it wasn’t deleted. As for your opinion of the
    pending fiber implementation, it does in fact offer promise to many that have no other viable
    alternatives.

5. Daniel Lawrence says:

Well the pricing structure remains to be seen but for residential customers to get real value out of this its going to have to be cheaper than current wireless or sattelite solutions. When I hear prices in the “hundreds” of dollars that doesn’t give me any confidence this will be viable for residential customers.

I hope I’m pleasantly surprised.

6. Tommy says:

I’m in agreement with you on pricing Daniel. The initial rates discussed were in my personal opinion, unacceptable and didn’t address the pricing needs of residential, small and medium sized customers. I do fully believe with BRI now involved we will see a push for reasonable pricing. And, IF, they can provide DSL level o service beyond the fiber backbone, that would be a tremendous improvement over many current measured options. BRI definitely realizes the need for an affordable pricing structure.

7. Michael Tuso says:

I agree with David, to be an acceptable solution the new broadband service would have to offer at least 5 Mbps and cost no more than currently available 3G, 4G or satellite services.

Our rural area has higher infrastructure costs and less customers than an urban area so it is understandable that pricing could be higher than in Charlottesville or Waynesboro. I would be happy to pay 1.5X – 2X the cost of Charlottesville DSL or cable modem service if I could get equivalent service in Afton.

None of the currently available wireless solutions are very suitable for a home office connection that requires always on connectivity and good VPN performance.