Nelson County, VA
The biking world lost one of its angels today. June Curry, known to cyclists around the world as “The Cookie Lady,” died Monday afternoon. She was born on February 8, 1921. June was best know for providing a place for cyclists to stop for a break, or stay overnight as they rode across the country.
The subject of one of Charles Kuralt’s “On the Road” segments for CBS Sunday Morning, Curry gained fame and love for offering cyclists cookies and other treats as they passed her house along Afton Mountain Road.
Back in November of 2008 we told you about cyclists from all over the county stopping by June’s house to personally thank her for over 30 years of helping them out. It was around that time, June then in her 80′s, began having several health issues.
No word yet from June’s family on a service, but as for the bike house at 3240 Afton Mountain Road, the property’s owner, Hope Wood, plans to keep it as it is for cyclists.
We will miss you June, you shared so much with so many. RIP Cookie Lady.
- Cookie Lady : Cyclists Thank Nelson Legend Who’s Helped For Over 30 Years
- WINNERS! Lady Govs Take State Championship Over Matthews! – Update: 2:54 PM
- Opening Tonight! – Much Ado About Nothing, Onstage June 25 – July 12, Thu – Sun
- Vacation Bible School : June 22, 2009 In Faber, VA
- NCHS Lady Govs Win Against Northumberland : On To Richmond This Friday!