Nelson County, Virginia
©2009 NCL Magazine
Nelson County Sheriff David Brooks just confirmed to Nelson County Life Magazine that two males have been arrested and charged with the brutal murder of 73 year-old Opal Page last week here in Nelson County, Virginia. Just moments ago Sheriff Brooks told NCL that 18 year-old Christopher Meeks of Shipman and 20 year-old Austin Griffin of Crawford’s View have been charged with 1st Degree Murder of Mrs. Page.
The sheriff had interviewed the two earlier and rumors swirled that they had been arrested. Late in the day Monday, Meeks was picked up on Misty Hollow Road in Amherst County; Griffin was picked up in the Paul’s Creek area near home in Nelson County.
A witness interviewed within a day or so of the murder reported seeing two suspicious males near the driveway of Mrs. Page’s home just north of Greenfield the day of the murder.
It’s believed the pair stole Mrs. Page’s 1998 Chevy Malibu after the murder and then abandoned it in nearby Waynesboro, Virginia. Police recovered the car, seen above, the next day.
In addition to the 1st degree murder charge, Meeks and Griffin have been charged with petty larceny, grand larceny, and burglary.
More information will be forthcoming, and we’ll have it up as soon as it’s available.
- Nelson Sheriff Releases Possible Suspect Info In Opal Page Murder : 5.8.09 : 12:20 PM EDT
- Investigation Continues This Week Into Murder Of Afton’s Opal Page : 5.11.09 : Update 12 Noon EDT
- Opal Page remembered; Search for killer continues : BREAKING UPDATE! 5:20 PM EDT
- Lawmen Locate Opal Page’s Car In Waynesboro Late Thursday : 5.8.09
- Manhunt Underway For Opal Page’s Killer : 5.7.09 – Updated 10:30 AM EDT – Audio Added