Nelson County Burn Ban
Effective immediately, Nelson County has declared a LOCAL EMERGENCY. Nelson
County has banned all open burning. For so long as the declaration of
emergency shall be in effect, no person shall either cause or permit open
burning in any street, alley, or other public place or on private property.
â€œOpen Burningâ€ means the burning of out of doors trash, yard debris, and
construction materials, burning associated with agriculture and land
clearing, campfires, and other fires of like nature. Open Burning shall not
include the use of grills or pits for food preparation where such a fire is
constantly attended and more than 100 feet from forest land.
Any person violating this ordinance shall be guilty of a Class 1
misdemeanor. Each violation hereof shall constitute a separate offense,
whether committed on the same or subsequent days.
Citizens are cautioned to be alert for any fire hazards, and do NO OUTSIDE
BURNING. If any open air fires are observed, please call the Nelson County
Emergency Operations Center at 911. Caution and care should be used until
this ban has been lifted.
For more information please contact:
Raymond M. Uttaro, Emergency Services Coordinator
Nelson County Department of Emergency Services
PO Box 277
Lovingston, Virginia 22949
- Monday Weather : Wintergreen & Nelson County, Virginia
- Camp Jeep 2007 begins in Nelson County, Virginia! : With Video
- Monday Weather : Wintergreen & Nelson County Virginia : Scattered Thunderstorms
- Monday Weather : Nelson County, Virginia & Wintergreen : Humidty Returns with PM T-Storms
- Thursday Weather : Wintergreen & Nelson County, Virginia : Hot : Some Severe Storms : Cooler Weekend